I love makeup. I like trying new colors and new brands and continually tweaking my look. Along the way, I have learned many tricks to get the most out of my makeup. One key thing to remember is to always use a good primer.
Now, if you’ve never used a primer you might think that it doesn’t do anything, but you are missing out. I use three different primers every day before applying my makeup to get a flawless look.
The first primer I use is for your face. You put this primer on after your skincare regimen, but before your foundation. This serves the purpose of making your foundation last longer, cutting down on shine and helping your foundation to go on smoother. You can also wear primer by itself for a fresh look. I definitely notice the difference if I don’t use it.
To apply, you only need a pea-sized amount – a little bit goes a long way. There are many different primers, but my favorite are the Smashbox primers. Smashbox has 11 different primers to choose from depending on your skin. You can watch this video to learn more:
My personal favorite is the Photo Finish Foundation Primer Light ($36) because I have oily skin and this really helps to control shine all day long.
The other nine choices include:
- The classic Photo Finish ($36) that works well for all skin types.
- Photo Finish More Than Primer Blemish Control ($42) contains salicylic acid to clear up your skin under your foundation.
- Photo Finish Foundation Primer SPF 20 With Dermaxyl™ Complex ($42) to reduce fine lines and pores and is great for days you will receive extra sun exposure.
- Photo Finish More Than Primer Dark Spot Correcting ($42) helps to diminish the appearance of dark spots and uneven skin tones.
- Photo Finish Hydrating Foundation Primer ($42) for days you need a moisture boost.
- Photo Finish Luminizing Foundation Primer ($38) great for a night out when you need an extra glow.
- Photo Finish Color Correcting Foundation Primer – Green Color Adjust ($38) this is for red or blotchy skin.
- Photo Finish Color Correcting Foundation Primer – Apricot Blend ($38) to counteract dark spots and even out skin tone.
- Photo Finish Color Correcting Foundation Primer – Lavender Balance ($38) to brighten dull or sallow skin.
- Photo Finish Targeted Pore & Line Primer ($34) you can use this all over or to target specific problem areas.
The great thing about these primers is that you can mix and match them depending on your specific skin needs.
The second primer I use is an eye primer. This is essential if you wear eye makeup. Not only does it keep your eye shadow in place all day and all night, it gets rid of crease lines and makes shadow stay put. This means that you don’t need to use as much shadow in your application. This is one of my must-have products, without it my eye shadow wouldn’t be the same.
The best eye primer out there is Nars Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base ($24). This is as close as you are going to get to a magic potion in life, this stuff is AWESOME. I apply a few dots on my eyelid and blend it from lashline to browline before applying shadow.
Last but not least, I also use an eyelash primer. I just started using this and really like it. It helps my mascara to go on smoother and it keeps it in place. So no smudging under the eye throughout the day. It also coats and protects the eyelash. You apply this to your lashes after you curl them and before you apply your mascara. I have been using the Clinique Lash Building Primer ($15) and really like it.
What primers do you love? Are there any I should try?
For more Beauty posts, click here.